Sunday 7 June 2015

Review: A Mother's Story by Amanda Prowse

Book cover

I deserve all this because I did the worst thing a woman can do. The very worst.


Jessica's wedding was like a fairytale. Her dress strewn with crystals. Her dad made a tearful speech. Her husband Matthew declared himself the luckiest man alive.


But when their beautiful baby girl is born, Jessica is gripped by panic. She can’t tell anyone how she feels. Even when her life starts to spiral out of control...


This is her story.  A mother’s story.


My Thoughts:

An interesting and intriguing read where we literally step into Jessica's shoes because this is her story. Switching back between the past and the present Jessica's tale gently unfolds as Amanda cleverly does her thing and utilises her story telling skills.


I liked this book and if you read and enjoyed Still Alice I think you will too. However it is a disturbing read making it an interesting but not relaxing read. My mother read it too on my recommendation and whilst she couldn't put it down said she didn't enjoy it.

Whilst the story is indeed shocking I found it easy to emphasise with Jessica. Throughout the book the past somehow feels more real than the present which I suspect is deliberate. The present is told mostly by letters,  as a result of which I as reader I felt more detached.

I have read a lot of Amanda's work and enjoyed most but not all of them, this is certainly one of the best and prompted me to preorder a copy of "Perfect Daughter".



Format: Kindle Edition

Publisher: Head of Zeus (26 Feb. 2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment